Thursday 10 September 2015

School Magazine Cover

I was set the task of producing a cover for a school magazine.

I originally planned to set the cover in a science lab and have a student use the equipment. Unfortunately, I was unable to do this and so moved on to plan B.

I decided that I would take my photo outside as I thought this would make my magazine cover appear fresh and positive. This sunny and natural picture would be appealing to a wide range of students and therefore make my magazine more accessible.

I chose to feature a student doing work as the issue revolves around 'back to school' ideas. By choosing an image that related to the issue's content, the magazine gives a clear indication of internal articles at first glance.
See original image below.




Due to the natural light, I edited the picture to make it standout by enhancing the colours and removing any background impurities.  I think that this editing was successful as it makes the picture more attractive to my target audience and the enhanced colours create an enjoyable appearance which is essential to making the school magazine interesting rather than boring.






I chose the name 'Study Break' as it relates to education while still indicating leisure ("break"). To emphasise this I chose to make the word 'break' slightly larger and make it a different colour so that the students would immediatly see the word and therefore encouraged the reader to identify the magazine with relaxation; when asked, over half of the students said that the word 'break' immediately stood out to them. Additionally, the colour yellow is assosaited with positively. For this reason I chose the colour to eliminate the stereotypical negativity that students often have towards education.




Finally I adopted subheadings for the cover featured articles to add to the initial understanding of the reader. I attempted to create interesting and enticing headings to attract the audience, for example "call the caretaker" creates interest as it does not give away too much information.  I attempted to make headings such as "exclusive offer" stand out, by enlarging it and changing its colour. I did this as my research showed that magazines draw attention to areas that they think will captivate their audiences.




Above is my completed piece.

To improve I feel that I could have composed the photo to be more visually interesting; for example by moving the focus of the image slightly off centre I could have created a more abstract impact.
Furthermore I should of taken the picture portrait so to make it into a conventional magazine, however I did not consider this until I began editing.

Overall I think that I was successful. I feel that I successfully draw attention to the cover and create a positive and interesting tone. I feel that the composition of the picture and the text is well balanced while still informing the audience of the contents.

























No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This blog will consist of my Alevel media pieces.