Saturday 23 January 2016

In what ways does your magazine product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


Magazines typically follow conventions in order to ensure a successful magazine; these conventions consist of a masthead, a dominant and sticking cover image and an attractive colour scheme that consist of no more than 3 colours; all of which create the format of the magazine. Additionally, typical magazines include a memorable sell line, which is the function of the magazine, and cover lines, which construct the formula.

I chose to follow the main conventions throughout my magazine in order to attract my audience as the conventions would create familiarity.

Masthead

The masthead of a magazine is located in the top few inches of the cover; this allows it to be easily seen when on a crowded news-stand. I chose to use a bold black masthead as this would allow the masthead to remain identical throughout every issue therefore making my magazine easily recognisable to readers (see figure 1).
Figure 1 - Resonance Masthead
I chose to use a sans serif front for my masthead as this made the title bolder, additionally sans serif fonts create a modern feel that was necessary for my magazine genre as I focused on following modern trends. By choosing a black, sans serif masthead I created a bold and recognizable brand for my magazine that would attract my target audience of 16 to 21 year olds.

At first my masthead was very different. Originally, the name of my magazine was ‘Fix’, however I changed this to ‘Resonance’ (meaning “a quality of richness or variety” and “the quality of a sound that stays loud, clear, and deep for a long time”; therefore, portraying the genre of my magazine) as when asking my target audience, I found that they felt that the word ‘Fix’ connoted drugs and therefore appeared to suggest an indie genre. Additionally, the word ‘Fix’ did not fill the cover (see figure 2) and so I chose a longer word that was more aesthetically pleasing.

Figure 2 - Original Masthead

Cover Image

Figure 3 - Original Cover Image 
The cover image is an important feature of the magazine as it is the first thing that the audience sees, therefore it gives the first indication of the format of the magazine. Consequently, the image must be striking and attractive to the audience to grasp their attention in a short space of time.

Figure 4 - Edited Cover Image 
A typically convention of music magazines is to use eye contact on the cover image, I chose to stick with this convention. Eye contact from the featured artist evokes an attachment with the audience, as a result the audience are more likely to purchase the magazine. In addition, it was important for me to include an image that had eye contact (see figure 3) because my issue focused on one artist with the main feature article being an interview. Because of this my image is successful as it connotes a feeling of vulnerability and truthfulness that the audience would expect from the interview.

In order to make my magazine image striking I used the colour red on the models lips and nails. The colour red is a bright colour and so would attract attention, additionally, red connotes love and allure and so signifies to my audience that this artist is love and popular within the music industry. When editing my image, I chose to enhance the colour red (see figure 4) to create an interesting and striking image. 
  

Colour Scheme

Figure 5 - an example of a '3'
colour scheme used in a
music magazine.
Figure 6 - Final Contents Page
Because of the use of red in my cover image I chose to use red throughout my colour scheme, by using the same colour as seen on the model I created continuity and allowed me to establish my houses style clearly for the audience. A convention of magazines is to use 3 colours as to not over crowed the page (an example of this is seen in figure 5). Because my target audience of aspirers wanted a minimalistic cover (due to their orientation around the attractive appearance of products) I chose to include this convention in my music magazine therefore, I only used red, black and white on my cover and throughout my magazine. Because the colour red was the boldest colour, I used it to draw the readers’ attention to certain articles and information. For example, in my double page spread (figure 6) I chose to make the article title and the pull quite red in order to create a more interesting layout and draw attention to these two features.

Sell Line

A sell line, or selling line, is a short description of the main marketing point or philosophy of the magazine. The sell line gives the audience an indication into the function of the magazine and can be used to attract the reader. I chose the sell line “Intune with the music of today” as it indicted the purpose of my magazine, which is to feature the changing trends of music. By using “music of today” I ensured that my sell line could be used throughout every issue as it didn’t specify one genre; this was important for my magazine as it showed popular music of the time, therefore allowing the genre of my magazine to change along with popular culture.

Cover lines

Figure 7 - An example of
cover lines used in a
music magazine.
The cover of a magazine features cover lines, inform the audience of the formula of the magazine.
Figure 8 - My magazine cover 

Typically, a music magazine has a lot of cover lines on the cover (see figure 7) as this allows them to inform the reader and therefore attract the reader’s attention resulting in the purchase of their magazine.

I chose not to include a lot of cover lines in my magazine as my target audience wanted a minimalist cover. Therefore, I chose to challenge conventions and have less cover lines. In order to make my cover attractive I chose to replace multiple cover lines with a large main cover line (seen in figure 8) which clearly indicated the main focus of the issue. I feel that by doing so I made my cover simple and effective in quickly informing my target audience of the contents of the magazine.

Conclusion 


Overall, I feel that my magazine is successful. By following conventions, such as using a sell line and including a striking image, I have created a professional looking music magazine that will attract audiences in a effective way. By challenging conventions, much like RayGun does, I would be limiting myself to a niche audience and consequently making my magazine less successful as I aim target a mass audience. Therefore, by following conventions I have created a distinguishable magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This blog will consist of my Alevel media pieces.